Friday, August 31, 2007

Books that Define

I have heard from many a soul that there is a particular book that changed their life. Or they had not realized who they were *until* they read such and such. I had never really thought of it before so I closed my eyes and daydreamed about all the books I have read in my lifetime. Surely something will be illuminated in my mind's eye and now with hindsight I can say that, yes, that is the book that changed me.

I've got nothing. I have enjoyed a great deal of books. I have favorites I have read countless times. I've read books that really make me think, laugh, cry, worry, or rage. But none of them can really count as 'life changing'. I feel kind of jealous. I want that book epiphany too. Not for any particular reason. I also want 2 persian kittens to play with, a barn full of mexican chocolate bars, a big cup of diet coke with lime, and some popcorn with flaxseed oil and nutritional yeast on it. (better not to ask).

Oh, and Mistress Urban? I've changed my bracelet 3 times so far. Wait, make that 4. I just thought about your music choices again... ;)

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Z,

1. Thanx for the post.

2. My music choices? Was it the rap that sent our hostess diving for the button or is it some other musical malady I inflicted upon you? Just curious.

3. Good question. Lots of books have changed my life at different times, so there isn't just "the one" for me. But I'm thinkin' about it and I'll complete this assignment later.

zendra said...

the rap makes me move my bracelet :)

Jennifer Sardam said...

Hey, I found you through the comments on my friend's blog called "Red Writes." I wanted to say that I love the title of your blog.

As for books, I'd have to say it's more the case of a life-changing author than one particular book. That author would be Natalie Goldberg. She writes with a mixture of zen, personal introspection and simple yet effective writing instruction.