Thursday, April 5, 2007

Fiver

We just started reading Watership Down together yesterday. The title was familiar to me, but for some reason I always thought it had something to do with naval battleships. So am I the only one who was surprised it was about bunny rabbits? I bookmooched it on the recommendation of the very wise book goddess that works at Borders on 175 in Columbia. People, this woman knows *every* book ever made. She's quite amazing. I always walk out of there with a stack of books when she happens to be working. I have no idea what her name is, though. I should probably learn that. So I can make an appropriate shrine to her in my basement or something.

We're taking a brief break in school right now and the children are playing rabbits. DP has the role of Fiver and Fizz is Hazel. DP was born to play Fiver. She's running around shrieking about premonitions of danger and blood. Lots of blood. Which pretty much is how she always roleplays, but at least now she has some literature backing her up. It's less creepy that way, isn't it? No, no, random person at the playground, she's not morbid, she's pretending she's that little bunny rabbit from Watership Down! Oh, how very erudite of her - not scary at all, play on!

2 comments:

RedWrites said...

I'm gonna have to look into bookmooch... and get some of those books you're reading the kids. Ooo... let's read them a cool book at the beach and see what happens :) Between my Princess and your DP... wow... could be a Academy Award nominee-like performances from both!

Jennifer Sardam said...

I was just there tonight picking up a copy of Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life," and Natalie Goldberg's pocket version of "Writing Down the Bones."

I was wondering if you ever checked out Daedalus books in Columbia. I keep meaning to see if they are anything special, but I never remember to check them out.