Monday, February 19, 2007

Un-American

I don't like jewelry. There, I've said it. I can stand here on my little island all by my onesie. The only piece I wear is a ring that my husband, let's call him Buddha Butt, gave me after we had been dating for a year, I think. And that was around 18 years ago. I wear it for sentimental reasons.

I never had an engagement ring or a wedding ring. And trust me when I say I wanted it that way. My mother-in-law once offered me a fabulously shiny ring - lots of diamonds and other sparkly rocks and was completely shocked when I politely turned her offer down.

I'd much rather have a good book or a piece of software for my computer or a day at the spa. At first, Buddha Butt found this intriguing. Hey, look at my girlfriend! I don't have to buy her jewelry! How cool is that?! But after a while, it was less cool. Jeebus, a Hallmark created holiday is coming up and I don't know what to get her! If she liked shiny rocks that would make it so much simpler. Hmmm... sorry about that.

I appreciate the fact that gemstones reflect light nicely. Or that they can elongate the neck. Or break the neckline. Or complement an outfit by its structure and/or color. I was art ed for two years. I took design and all those other fun courses. Yes, I even took basket weaving. Really. But that's a whole different blog entry.

I guess I just don't do well with items that I have to worry about caring for while I am wearing them. If I have to remove something for sleeping or cleaning or chem lab or washing or any other applicable verb- I'm just never going to put it on again. (if I don't flat out lose it while it's removed) And then compound that with worrying about something if I damaged it while wearing it? Not so much.

So there you have it. Proof positive that I am an alien. Or a fascist. Or something untoward. Man, next I'll be telling you that I don't eat meat or something weird like that.

9 comments:

mdhome said...

I'm right there with ya, girl. I especially never understood the need for those big hoop earrings that get caught in your hair all the time. It's so weird being a woman.

Congrats on starting the blog! In answer to your email, I let my blog go - what was I thinking? As if I have that kind of time! I love your posts, very creative, and I'm learning something new about you. So funny!

Weirdness - we're using almost the exact.same.curriculum. Oooooh, maybe we've got some weird connection on a deep subconscious level. Oooooh. But I still like meat.

Jim Chandler said...

I could have bought a sports car with what I paid for the Headmistress's engagement ring (purchased YEARS after we got married).

Then she lost it.

Granted, we eventually found it, but hey, I don't think I'd lose a sports car. See what I'm saying?

zendra said...

Exactly! And besides, it's not like the diamond is a rare gem or anything. It's carbon, people!

Jim Chandler said...

WHAT?! Carbon? Dammit! I'm getting my money back and buying that car. If I'm paying that much for carbon, it better be coming out of a Mille Miglia exhaust system.

Life throws you surprises! said...

I am so with you. Although I do have my wedding ring but that is it. And there were times I didn't even wear it either.

Susu said...

You innocently stumble into a blog one day, and then you read another, and another... My non-cable having, no jewelry owning, other than my one pair of gold hoops I wear everyday to work, no watch wearing, don't own pantyhose or valid foundation underpinnings, no fingernails polished, but occassionally perfumed self applaud you for your asthetic. But I challenge you to have less kitchen ware items than I have. I don't even make ice! You cannot possibly win on this one. I bid, one big pot, one small pot one skillet, one slotted wooden spoon and spatula, two pieces of tupperware, one cheese grater, one (broken) colander, three knives and an old measuring cup that has all of the markings worn off.

Let the games begin.

Lisa said...

Don't diss carbon, people. A hunk of good carbon is a thing of beauty.

zendra said...

Hmmm...I can match the no cable, no watch, no polish. But kitchenware? Ahhh... a true weakness. If I don't currently own it, I will acquire it one day. Wafflemakers, ice cream makers, pasta makers, woks, cannoli tubes, cookie presses, hand crank pasta machines, nutmeg graters, etc, etc. However! My current passion? Learning it old school. When I learned how to make bread by hand, I gave away my bread machine.

Life throws you surprises! said...

we should get together and have a big kitchen day. Kitchen stuff is my weakness too. Have you seen Father of the Bride? Well the bride gets a blender from her soon to be hubby and is devasted. My reaction was "Are you kidding that is an awesome gift!"